Custody and Technology

Gone are the days of just the good old fashion phone. Generally today most courts allow daily contact between children and parents. Sometimes, that contact may be by phone, skype, email, or other advances in technology. With the advances to technology parents can have a closer and a more effective relationship with the child, even if the child is with the other parent. Many parents have embraced the technology, because not only can they speak to their child, but they can actually see their child via programs such as a Skype. These advances in technology have not only allowed for better relationships, but also sometimes assist in making sure everyone is on the same page.

Custody & Education

As a former teacher, I saw many different family structures. The best students were the students who had active parents who were concerned with their child’s education. Sometimes these parents were not “together” but put the child’s education goals FIRST. If you are going through a custody issue with the other parent, it is best to make sure the questions and concerns you have are for your children and not for what best fits your needs. I always tell clients that you have to make sure the child’s interests are being put first because children may be young now, but they will always remember when mommy and daddy are fighting about their school.

Just Served With Divorce Papers…

For many people, being served with divorce papers can be scary and unexpected. For others, it may be something that was expected from their partner. I usually hear the confusion and the scared voice in a client’s initial call. The most important thing I tell a client is a response is needed immediately, not just move the process along, but also because it is required by law. Once you have been served with divorce papers you have 20 days to respond.

Ignoring the paperwork you have been served with is the WORST thing a person can do. If you do not respond to the paperwork you are only digging yourself into a deeper and more costly hole.

So if you have been served with divorce papers you need to take action and not ignore what is going on and thing it will go away. The best option is to find a family law attorney who you feel comfortable with and can trust. Unfortunately, this may not be what you want, but you have to move forward and address the current situation.